Elegant Grunge 1.0 released

A significant update to my WordPress theme, Elegant Grunge, has been released. New features and fixes include:

• Configurable sidebars! Choose from no sidebar, a sidebar on the right (the standard layout), or a double sidebar on the right!
  • Support for WP 2.7 paginated and threaded comments
  • Support for a custom header image – just enter a URL to an image, typically a transparent PNG, and it will appear in the header instead of the text (SEO friendly)
  • Some bug, compatibility and i18n fixes

p>Note: If you have problems with this theme, please post your question at the WordPress forums. Please don’t contact me directly, as I don’t have the resources to help you.

1. Posted December 30, 2008 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Hi Michael, it is the language file changed? Need to update italian translation? Cheers

• Posted December 31, 2008 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Ah yes – it has changed a little, Major. The default.po has been updated, just need to hit ‘update’ in Poedit

2. Posted December 30, 2008 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Hi Michael ! great theme ! I’ll keep you updated on how I use it. hope you’ll check it and check my photographs as well. Tweet to you soon ;)

3. Posted December 30, 2008 at 11:22 am | Permalink

love this one!

4. Posted January 1, 2009 at 12:53 am | Permalink

I’m in the process of moving over to WP from Blogger and until I work my own design into the CSS I’ve chosen Elegant Grunge because, well.. It’s great. Solid work on this, classy theme. Thanks!

5. Posted January 1, 2009 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Hi, Thanks for the update, I really like this theme. I just installed it and I’m not seeing the comment reply link in my comments. I’m using WP 2.7

• Posted January 1, 2009 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Hi Amy; are you using 1.0.1? This adds the Reply links

• Posted January 1, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Oops! Nope, I must have missed that version, I have 1.0. Thanks!

6. Posted January 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Mike… gorgeous theme, thanks so much for sharing it with the world!

I have been having trouble with images not centering in posts using the uploader. I am using the WP uploader and Lightbox 2.

I just figured out that the photos that wouldn’t center were all captioned. So there is maybe a bug with the captions pushing a photo over to the far right (into the sidebar)?

• Hal Halvorsen
      Posted January 8, 2009 at 9:06 am | Permalink

I have the same problem with captioned images as Ubi (using the same setup). They don’t center and float to the right.

7. Todd
    Posted January 4, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Is it difficult to upgrade from elegant grunge 1.0 to 1.0.1?

8. Todd
    Posted January 4, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Is there a read me file on how to do this?

• Posted January 4, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

There’s really not much to it. It’s the same process as with everything else… Just unzip and put the elegant-grunge directory into wp-content/themes, replacing what’s there.

• Todd
        Posted January 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

TY! Michael, I just wanted to make sure that that’s what I was supposed to do. Love the theme btw… you rock and so does loopy

• Posted January 4, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the kind words Todd =) Let me know if you have any troubles

9. Posted January 4, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Hello,

First… a beautiful template! Thank you.

I changed the width of the template and now the images have no more shadow. In the first posts everything was o.k. And also the layout crashes in the readmore page.

I don’t know what happened. Can you help?

positivefeeling.org Thanks bl

10. Posted January 5, 2009 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Hi Mike,

a great update !!! One thing I would really appreciate, would be to get also the sidebar background hidden, if a user wants to turn sidebars off … just as an idea … :-).

Thanks a lot, Sebastian

• Posted January 7, 2009 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Thanks Sebastian, This is the main feature added by v1.0. Just turn the sidebar off to accomplish this

• Posted January 8, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Mike,

sorry – I had a caching error so I was not able to recognize this when I tried to test this functionality. But what I will do is redesign my image.php that if you open an image from built in gallery a bigger size of the image will be shown. If you have any ideas, suggestions don’t hesitate to send me your input!

Thanks for this great theme :-)!!! Sebastian

• morg
        Posted February 4, 2009 at 2:43 am | Permalink

noob question how to turn off sidebar? i try remove all but the default sidebar appear

11. Maria
    Posted January 5, 2009 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Hi Michael:

I am about to customize this gorgeous theme a little bit, just to bring a touch of pink. One of the template descriptions states: “A custom page template that allows complete customisation of the sidebar…”

Does this mean that if I create a page about “Cooking”, for example, I can customize the side bars for that specific page to feature cooking stuff on the sidebars?

Thanks for your time!

• Posted January 7, 2009 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Yes, that’s right Maria; if you look at the ‘music’ or ‘research’ sections on this page, you’ll see it in action.

12. Posted January 5, 2009 at 7:41 am | Permalink

does this theme support widgets? i try to add widgets to the sidebar and i get a “Error: Cache location must be writable.” it is visible on the site i have linked. does anyone else have this problem? what should i do?

• Posted January 7, 2009 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Sounds like you’ve got a WP permissions problem, Mantas. Do some googling or ask for assistance at the WP forums.

13. Posted January 5, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Good Morning,

I found the solution. It was a plugin (exec.php).

Bye bl

14. Posted January 5, 2009 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

I have updated my wp blog to 2.7 and i have installed your theme, but i don’t have your same result ? Please help me..

• Posted January 8, 2009 at 9:21 am | Permalink

I just understood your question – it would appear that I incorrectly bundled version 1.0.1 when I uploaded it, and the images weren’t included at all. Sorry everyone – version 1.0.2 should be fine now

15. Posted January 6, 2009 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Hi Michael – I’m a happy Elegant Grunge WordPress theme user. I was about to email you a few requests to add to the theme today and when I clicked through to your site I found the “new features” post. You’ve added half the changes I was going to ask for! Great work. Thanks for all your efforts. Drop by my site for some Canadian photography. Cheers. Pete

• Posted January 7, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Glad to hear it Pete! Cheers =)

16. Posted January 8, 2009 at 7:02 am | Permalink

Unique question. I can’t seem to figure out how to edit the header so that I can include social network icons to the top right.

Basically I’m trying to add what you see here: http://www.jasonyormark.com/test.html

To the top right of the header.

Any suggestions?

• Posted January 8, 2009 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Hi Jason; What I usually do to add stuff to the header is:

1. Create a file ‘custom.php’
      2. Put some html into custom.php, in a containing div; eg:

<div id="badge"><!-- my content goes here --></div>

3. Create a file ‘custom.css’

4. Put CSS into there to style the content we just created; eg:

#badge {
          position: absolute;
          top: 80px;
          left: 50%;
          margin-left: 300px;

5. Open the theme’s header.php, and somewhere in the body section, add:

<?php include('custom.php); ?>

6. Append custom.css to style.css – on the terminal, you can do this:

cat custom.css >> style.css

That way, whenever you need to upgrade the theme, you can just re-insert the include, and re-append the custom.css and you’re done.

17. Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:00 am | Permalink

I’ll try that. What about the last step about re-appending? Not sure I understand that. Couldn’t I just add the additional style parameters to the style.css file manually?

• Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Well yeah, but if you keep it in custom.css and just copy that to style.css whenever you upgrade, you don’t risk losing your carefully crafted css – you just copy it over each time.

• Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Got it. So I tried this but get the following error message on my site:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ”’ (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/jasonyor/public_html/wp-content/themes/elegant-grunge/header.php on line 80

Warning: include(customphp) [ function.include ]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/jasonyor/public_html/wp-content/themes/elegant-grunge/header.php on line 80

Warning: include() [ function.include ]: Failed opening ‘customphp’ for inclusion (include_path=’.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php’) in /home/jasonyor/public_html/wp-content/themes/elegant-grunge/header.php on line 80

• Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Sounds like you probably made a typo or put something in the wrong place… The WP forums should be able to help you from here

18. Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Thanks. Figured it out.

Sorry to be pain, but one last question. As you can see, I figured out how to manuever it where I want it, but for the life of me, can’t get it to stop from spreading out the icons. The custom.php file has them in a table with a set width, but it still spreads them out.

Is there a CSS style I need to incorporate?

• Posted January 8, 2009 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Scratch that. Figured it out! Needed to move the php call outside a menu tag.

19. Posted January 8, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Michael!

Tnx a lot for sharing your cool design for WP community. I did upgrade of the theme, it looks now more layered and expanded… i’m running it in WP2.7., but the only problem is that on small screens like on Asus Eee the page seems to be broken… is there any piece of code that we can all add in Stylesheet to make it more suitable for smaller screens… to have fixed columns or something? sorry for bothering and thanks in advance… best, deborah

• Posted January 9, 2009 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Hi deborah, I’m not entirely sure, without spending some time experimenting. Perhaps a min-width on the ‘body’ element in the stylesheet? If you’re after a “mobile” display version, you’ll probably want to entirely redesign the page anyway (like the way mobile phone-friendly pages are completely different to standard ‘desktop’ pages).

20. Posted January 9, 2009 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Which parameters in the file(s) or css controls the whitespace between posts on the front page and also the comments section?

These are spaced out a bit more then I would like and want to tighten them up a bit. For the life of me I can’t find this.

• Posted January 9, 2009 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Does 1.0.2 solve this at all for you, Jason? I tightened up the spacing between title and post body. (Not the comments though) For posts, you’re probably after the ‘.hr’ class. For comments, probably margin-top of .commentlist li.

• Posted January 9, 2009 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Thanks. The hr class worked, but margin-top parameter doesn’t seem to do the trick.

21. Posted January 9, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Dear Michael,

thank you for the best work for your themes, i really like it and that were my first and current themes on my web.

But there’s something i’d like to ask, there’s something wrong when i insert an image and using a caption the image will go more to the right side (not centered) this problem won’t happen if the image not using a caption.

Would you inform me the soultion?

Reegards

22. Posted January 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this theme. I really like it. :)

23. Posted January 13, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Michael, I really loved your elegant grunge theme.. great job! however I do have a question :), I’m a totally new to this… would you please tell me how I can add more items to the menu bar I really like the way you have it set As: Home, about, music, photography and so forth…thank you so much…Nick.

• Posted January 13, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Nick. These are just WP pages – create them in WP admin. See the WP documentation for more info.

24. Posted January 13, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the cool theme!!!!

25. Posted January 13, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Hey Michael, I love the theme. In the search bar, some letters don’t quite fit – like ‘p’ or ‘y’. Is there any way to decrease the font size in that box – so it fits? The rest of the theme works like a charm. Thanks again!

26. Jane
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Lovely theme, but I’ve had a search engine problem since installing – have no idea if it’s related, but I didn’t change anything else. My google search used to give post titles and show the “more results from” link. Now for some reason a google of my site is showing archives (November (3), December (7)) and nothing else.

27. Posted January 15, 2009 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Hi Myke! Greate theme. I have two guestions:

1. How can I repair the long comments display? Here yuo can see the problem: http://waltharius.pl/2008/12/04/czy-kosciol-katolicki-stosuje-relatywizm-moralny-w-swoim-postepowaniu/#comment-1792

2. How can I repair image display under Opera browser: http://waltharius.pl/2009/01/12/jak-spolszczyc-szablony-i-wordpressa-27/

Thanks.

28. Posted January 16, 2009 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Hi Michael – great theme – thank you!

That thing you say about: “Support for a custom header image…” – where do i put the URL: in the WP editor > header.php, and then..?

• Posted January 18, 2009 at 1:59 am | Permalink

ANDREW–

From the wordpress dashboard, go to Appearance> Elegant Grunge> You’ll see the top spot of that page has a place for the header image.

Hope that helps!

• Andrew
        Posted January 18, 2009 at 4:36 am | Permalink

yes – thanks ilz!

29. Posted January 18, 2009 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Thanks a ton for the theme man! I stretched the right column out to fit some ads, I’m loving the look.

Check it out here

I can’t wait to get some pics up to use the “photoblog” feature!

30. Posted January 19, 2009 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Hi Mike,

just wanted to let you know that I have update the image.php a little bit – now using the no-sidebar feature. More at this entry : http://notes.sebastiangrass.com/2009/01/18/elegant-grunge-theme-using-wordpress-built-in-gallery

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Sebastian