Latvian – by Johannes Rau

1. Posted October 20, 2008 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Michael,

Just found out what causes the error: use of Short Open tags.

To use short open tags, it must be enabled in PHP.INI and by default the WAMP installation turn it off. It’s just a matter of defining, at PHP.INI:

short_open_tag = On

Hope this may help more people.

Regards,

../vitor

2. Posted October 20, 2008 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Ahh! Well found, Vitor, and thanks – I found the offending PHP short open tag; It’s an old, bad habit, using those things, and it looks like I’d missed one. Fixed now in the unofficial 20081020 release above, and will be rolled into the next official version after 0.4.2.

3. Posted October 21, 2008 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Hi Mike, thanks for the fantastic theme, looks slick as. I’m just having a slight problem with the sidebar displaying an extra space between content in the widgets, bad decription I know… If you could be so kind and point me in the right direction. I would be glad to provide more info should you need it. Thanks again mate.

4. Posted October 21, 2008 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Smooth: Thanks, I’m glad you like it! First thing, upgrade to the latest version, available above. If that doesn’t make your sidebar look to your liking, you’ll need to jump into style.css (Admin, Design, Theme Editor, style.css). Then scroll down to the Sidebar section, and look for the margin-bottom property of #sidebar ul li. Then, change it from the current 25px to whatever you like.

I hope that answers your question!

5. Posted October 21, 2008 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Awesome! Version 0.4.3 has fixed this for me. Thanks for the quick reply and all your hard work. Cheers.

6. Trevor
    Posted October 21, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Michael….how can I update my current theme to the latest version? Trev

7. Posted October 22, 2008 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I have to say, I’m new to wordpress , and just in the process of setting up my site http://www.fullpen.com (Still being setup)and I have to say Hands down, I like what your theme has to offer, and look. Any suggestions I had have already been address in the Post releases.

The only Suggestion: I would love if I could use the left side of the screen for more links (3 columns)

I have added spam protection by way of “Simple Math” questions at the end of comments, and Drop caps as plug in.

8. Posted October 22, 2008 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Hey Micheal If i uploaded the translated version of the theme and give it to can you update it with the every updated English version?, or it will be as if you doing the double, i only said that because of the patching you mentioned i guessed it will be better than translating the theme every time… and will be available in another language ..

9. Posted October 22, 2008 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Okay,I will translate the new version now

10. Posted October 22, 2008 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Again,

here is the translated version, you can look at it in http://www.one4v.com/blogs

Link : Here

I have used a CSSMirro Tool to mirror all the theme except the translation that was manual

11. Posted October 23, 2008 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Thank you so much, the ability to add stuff to the header as a setting is greatly helpful! I’m using right now for linking an OpenID to my blog.

12. Posted October 24, 2008 at 2:11 am | Permalink

Do the theme support LightBox plug-in for viewing photos in posts not only PhotoBlog

13. Cynthia
    Posted October 24, 2008 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Smiley faces are getting the automatic photo frame put around them :P looks a little bizarre!

Also, a long tagline next to the site title doesn’t come out right. Part of the text ends up showing next to the first blog entry.

Otherwise, really like it!

14. Posted October 24, 2008 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks Cynthia!

See the notes about version 0.4 above about smileys.

Tagline: Thanks, I’ll take a look at that for next version!

15. Posted October 24, 2008 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

这是一个非常漂亮的主题,我已经推荐给我的朋友使用了,感谢Micheal 的共享:)

16. SeMa
    Posted October 25, 2008 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Hi there. Really nice theme but I’m having some troubles. I’m trying to put some random quotes ()just below the blog-name in the header. I don’t really understand what all the code means, so I’m doing some ‘trial and error’ there :)

Any idea how I can add this?

Thanks

17. Posted October 25, 2008 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Hi Sema,

Absolutely -add your tag to print the quotes just beneath the line:

<blockquote><tt>&lt;span id="blog-description"&gt;&lt;?php bloginfo('description'); ?&gt;&lt;/span&gt;</tt></blockquote>

Wrap it in a span with an id so you can style it:

<span id="quotes"><?php random_quote(); ?></span>

Then add a corresponding item in style.css; something like

#quotes {   color: white;   font-size: 0.8em;   ...your extra style stuff here... }
  18. Posted October 26, 2008 at 1:50 am | Permalink

Thanks,beautiful theme!

19. Mike
    Posted October 26, 2008 at 3:04 am | Permalink

Hey Michael,

I love the theme and I am currently using it on my website, but I have come across a problem when I try to create new pages. It seems that the body gets cut off at the bottom. Any ideas how I could fix this?

20. SeMa
    Posted October 26, 2008 at 3:13 am | Permalink

Hi again Michael, well, it’s working now but not 100% :) The quote is below the dark-grey part – I wanted it to be right below the blog-name, i.e. (your blog) below the big white “Michael Tyson” up there.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

21. Posted October 26, 2008 at 5:01 am | Permalink

I love that theme great work, i’m useing it myself.

22. Posted October 26, 2008 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Thanks guys!

Sema: That’s right, you need to apply some css to make it look the way you want. I suggest you check out a couple of quick css tutorials or find a reference, but for the short term, try adding

position: relative; top: -150px;

to your #quote CSS block. And alter the ‘top’ value until it’s where you want.

Mike: Hmm… Can you give me a URL to an example page where this happens? Is it in all browsers or in just one? Are you using the latest version?

23. Posted October 26, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Michael, I absolutely love this design and am using it for my site. I came across a problem of putting a youtube video in my post. It doesn’t post with the video, just with the html. How can I fix that? Thanks

24. Posted October 27, 2008 at 1:02 am | Permalink

hey Michael

I love your design and been using it since version 0.1!! However, I ran into a background shadow image issue using NextGen gallery. Your css frame section causing the thumbnails off the center and the background shadow images does not match with thumbnails. I also notice that you also using NextGen and does not use frame css with it. Are you running same issue as me?

I had to comment out frame part in order to work. Are you planning to fix this in future version?

Any way, I love your work and good luck on your PhD.

Thanks

Austin

25. SeMa
    Posted October 27, 2008 at 2:34 am | Permalink

It’s me again :) Thanks for the help, position: absolute; top: 160px; left: 120px; worked. cheer

26. Posted October 27, 2008 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Hi Austin, Glad you like it!

Just disable frames for the page/post with NextGEN on it – that’s what I do. No commenting out necessary: Just untick the box. Or is it tick? I can’t remember…

I wasn’t planning on implementing support for NextGEN, but I could look into it.

27. Posted October 27, 2008 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Hey Michael, I really love this theme and have been poking it a bit. There’s only one thing I want to do to it left and I’ll be happy!

I’m not comfortable with the large amount of space between the title of a post and its content. Is there a way to make it about half of that? Thanks!!!

28. Posted October 27, 2008 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Hi Gideon,

That’s easy – open up the style.css (either in the editor of your choice, or through WP admin), scroll down to the ‘Content’ section, and change the margin-bottom setting for ‘h2’

29. Posted October 27, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Excellent! Also, just for anyone else who may do this, the .post.author area needs the “top:-80px” reduced as well (changed to -50, etc.) Some tweaking got it done! Thanks a lot!

30. Mike
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 3:34 am | Permalink

Hey Michael,

I haven’t had the issue while using Mozilla Firefox…however if I use IE6 or IE7 the issue with pages not displaying properly happens.

Here is an example page…