Latvian – by Johannes Rau

1. Posted November 13, 2008 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Hi there, lovely theme but for some reason my site only partially shows in IE7

What am I doing wrong?

cheers kevin

2. Posted November 13, 2008 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Nevermind Michael, I found the file and (with domain host tech help) figured out what you were talking about. It’s not possible without a program like Photoshop which I don’t have. I’ll have to find a different theme. Many thanks anyway.

3. Posted November 13, 2008 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Found out what the problem was, wordpress doesn’t like javascript….doh! Thanks.

4. Posted November 13, 2008 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Ben: Cool! Sure, you can change that; See the discussion with Gideon on this page about it.

5. Posted November 14, 2008 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Michael, I love this theme, and I’m using it on my new blog. The only thing I’d like to change is to have the blog title at the top of each page link back to the home page. As it is now, the link is to whichever post page you are currently looking at. How can I edit the header file to change this? Thanks in advance for your help.

6. Posted November 14, 2008 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Jonni: Great! Glad you like it. I hadn’t noticed that – I’m going to fix it for the next version. For now, though, jump into administration, then open up ‘Design’, ‘Theme Editor’, and click on ‘header.php’. Look for the line with <h1>...bloginfo('name')...</h1>, and replace it with:

<h1><a href="<?php bloginfo('home') ?>"><?php bloginfo('name'); ?></a></h1>
  7. Posted November 14, 2008 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Michael. I fixed it. The code you gave didn’t work (for some reason it caused the title of the blog to be added to url, resulting in a broken link. I may have done it wrong.) I found the line you mentioned and replaced the # with the url of the home page, and now all is working fine. (and thanks for such a fast response!)

8. Posted November 14, 2008 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

D’oh… It’s probably because WordPress smartened up the quotes in the code, which would’ve broken it. Oh well, glad you sorted it out.

9. Paul
    Posted November 15, 2008 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Hey Michael, Thanks for a great theme. Is there a way to change the font color of the Blog Title and Tagline?

10. Paul
    Posted November 16, 2008 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Michael, I figured it out from a previous post. Thanks! Edit the #d3d3d3 line in style.css

header h1 a {

color: #d3d3d3;
    text-decoration: none;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    text-shadow: #000 0 1px 2px;
    float: left;

11. Posted November 16, 2008 at 6:27 am | Permalink

Beautiful theme.

RRS question. I’m using feedburner and customized the header and footer with the feed. The sidebar “Entries RSS” still shows the defualt feed, and I can’t for the life of me find it in ‘sidebar’ or anywhere. Where’s teh buried treasure?

12. Posted November 16, 2008 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mark!

Whoa… I have no idea where that’s coming from. That’s not the default sidebar from Elegant Grunge. In fact, I can’t find that sidebar config anywhere in the WordPress source – your setup confuses me! Try asking in the WordPress forums – good luck.

13. marco
    Posted November 17, 2008 at 3:05 am | Permalink

Hi, pubblishing photobog widget I got an error: Call to undefined function: array_combine() in function.php. I wonder if you coud tel me more…

thank you so much!

14. Posted November 17, 2008 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Thanks for the reply November 16th, 2008 at 2:47 pm. The RSS feed I can’t find to change in the sidebar is just the standard ‘Meta’ widget that comes with WordPress. I’ve turned it off, but if you don’t know where to modify that in the theme, I will try the WordPress forum.

15. Posted November 19, 2008 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Is it possible to put an image in the header?

16. Posted November 25, 2008 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Hi. I’m currently using this theme for my blog and love the way it looks. I would like to add a column on the left. Is there a way to do that? Also, is there a way to put a widget in the header? Thanks!

17. Posted November 25, 2008 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Hi Serena,

Customisable sidebars will be implemented in an upcoming version (over the next few weeks).

Nope, no support for widgets in the header, I’m afraid.

18. Marcene
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Hi, I really love this theme! I would like to try integrating it into my website so that it matches the blog. The problem… I’m not a programmer, but I understand how to edit VERY basic html and css. Once I have something going, I use firebug to fix things.

I know you write these in php because it is a dynamic web page, but how easy would it be to write a static theme in html?

Thanks! Marcene

19. Posted November 26, 2008 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Hi Marcene,

Fairly easy, actually – you’d want to take the theme directory, copy ‘images’, ‘style.css’ and ‘index.php’ to your webroot, rename ‘index.php’ to ‘index.html’, and replace anything in between <?php …. ?> with your own, static, content.

20. Posted November 27, 2008 at 1:13 am | Permalink

I’ve customized my permalinks to /%postname%/. I’d like to have a PERMALINK show up in the post meta data under each post. Can’t find it in the Theme Editor to modify. Can you direct me? BTW like the humor in the code.

21. Posted November 27, 2008 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Hi Michael. I’m not sure you can help me with this but I thought I’d give it a shot. Is there a way to put an ad (like Google ads) at the end of a post or in between posts? Thanks for any help you can give!

Serena

22. Posted November 27, 2008 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Nevermind my last post. I found a wordpress plugin that worked. Thanks!

23. Posted November 27, 2008 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Mark: You’ll have to open up index.php, and single.php at the least – possibly tag-photoblog.php too. The content rendered after each post is in those files. Good luck! (Humour? There is humour? =)

24. Marcene
    Posted November 27, 2008 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I think I got it all working. Instead of replacing the text in the index file, I just started from “scratch” while looking at the page source and copying and pasting (and lots of editing) until it worked!

Now I just need to learn how to write web galleries for Lightroom to have it put those borders in… unless you know how to do that ;) On the current design of my website I was able to add the header and footer to a Simpleviewer gallery (without messing it up too much!), but it would be cool to have these same borders.

25. Posted November 27, 2008 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Hi this is a great theme and I’m using it but I have a major problem with the sidebar. http://rebelcentral.net/blog/ In my browser, at least, the sidebar is appearing underneath the posts! Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks. Also wondering if I can replace the header with my own graphic?

26. Posted November 28, 2008 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Hi Shelly, It looks like you have some bad HTML somewhere in your posts. Put your site through w3’s validator to see some of the issues (the most telling is the error at the end about not closing a div somewhere); consequently, the browser thinks the sidebar is within the ‘body’ element, which is incorrect. It also looks like you’ve modified the sidebar’s CSS as well, which has pushed it leftwards, off the sidebar’s background. You might want to change it back to fix that (should be width 200px, padding-right 16px; you have width 240px, padding-right 10px) Replace the header image to put your own there.

27. Posted November 29, 2008 at 9:31 am | Permalink

You were right, there was some bad post code in there that I copied over from somewhere else. The sidebar now looks fine. Thanks, I love the theme.

28. Posted November 29, 2008 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Hello Michael.

First i would like to say, that i really like your theme “Elegant Grunge” That being said, i would like to ask you, if you could help me with a big problem. I really have no idea on how to edit in the theme files. And i have to use the (dTabs (Dynamic Tabs) – WordPress Plugin)

But i just cant get it to work… I have to insert some kind of snippet? Is there a chance that you could pre-enable this feature in your theme. Or maybe you could help me out in some other way… I hope that you can understand my writing. I am danish, and english is not my best.

p.s i teach science i elementry school, and thats what i use my website for. Its a science blog and link collection, for the school children. Its brand new, and up and going for 2 weeks now.

Please help me:-) and us..

Best regards Allan Krejsler

29. Posted November 29, 2008 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Allan,

I’m afraid I’m not really familiar with this plugin, and it sounds like it needs to be fully integrated into a design, as it is itself a design element. Perhaps Elegant Grunge isn’t quite the theme for you? If you do want to continue, I’m not sure how much help I’ll be; try opening up header.php from Elegant Grunge and pasting that snippet in somewhere, probably just before the <div id="menu">.

Good luck!

30. Allan Krejsler
    Posted November 29, 2008 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

I tried that now.. And it dosnt get implanted in the taps:-( Thats just too bad.. I really like the look of your theme.. But i need dynamic taps. Thanks for the help anyways.